Independent dairy nutrition consulting that delivers Research Proven Nutrition strategies to each herd.
Custom formulas designed to deliver the best health and return on investment for all groups of animals. We work with our customers to fit economics with science and help each dairy unlock potential. The science we refer to includes extensive education around nutrition physiology, robust biological models, and leveraging the latest university research findings.
- Milk cows – formulate for BEST solids production and optimize cost
- Dry cows
- Pre-fresh/Close-up cows
- Fresh cows
- Heifer development
- Dairy beef/Dairy beef crossbreds
- Other ruminants
The most unique aspect of ruminant nutrition is the wide array of ingredients that can be fed. Whether farms are across the street or across world, feeds can differ so much. In order to customize formulations, we work with herds to characterize available feed.
- Physical evaluation of feed
- Sample feeds for lab testing
- Teach proper sampling technique
- Interpret feed results
- Stay current on innovations in fiber analysis to make sure forages are used most efficient
Planning is essential to the success of any business. We work with the whole team to devise feeding and management plans.
- Assess feed markets for buying opportunities
- Nonlinear optimization of rations
- Advice on contracting/risk management
Feeding quality forage is highly correlated to a dairy’s profitability. We work with the entire team to help obtain the best forage possible.
- Best practices for silage harvest
- Help assessing forage purchase opportunities
- Feed storage consulting
- General forage consultant
Companies are constantly marketing value add products to dairy farms. Deciphering which products are worthwhile is tricky. Systematic evaluation of the products mode of action and supporting research is important and Best Axis has the training and tools to do so.
- Unbiased scientific analysis of available feed additives and supplements
- Research interpretation
A healthy nutrition program is the backbone of having a sound herd. Our first priority with formulations is to feed for a healthy cow.
- Cow health is more important than production
- Work to prevent fresh cow health issues
- Monitor herd body condition and metrics to make sure health is maintained
Cows love consistency. Our goal is to help dairies achieve consistency every single day. We work with clients to design and improve feeding programs so that they yield stable and predictable results every day.
- Feed mixing order/timing
- Feed delivery
- Feed quality
- Silage face management
- Dry matter adjustment protocols
- Inventory management
- Forage transitions
- Equipment wear
Most dairies encounter challenges at some point. It’s the nature of working with people and live animals. Many times, finding the root of those challenges is easier from the outside looking in.
- Low milk production
- Fresh cow disorders
- Low milk fat
- Poor feed efficiency